Gifted and Talented
Gifted and Talented Students
Gifted children are those with marked academic ability or potential, and talented children are those who have high ability or potential in sport or the visual or performing arts.
Here at South we use a range of agreed criteria and sources of evidence to identify gifted and talented students. We begin to put our GT Register together during the transition period in Year 8 and regularly update this throughout the 5 years we hope students are with us. Staff use a wide variety of techniques in lessons to stretch and challenge students and the different subject areas offer a great many enrichment opportunities for students to take part in.
Gifted and Talented Provision
Here are just a few examples of our Gifted and Talented enrichment provision:
- Year 8 and 9 Transition project with our feeder middle schools
- Oxbridge events – from information sessions and visits, to interview support at A-Level
- Mathematics – Maths challenge
- Science – STEM club, Year 11 Science Ambassadors who present workshops at our feed middle schools
- Design and Technology – participation in Future Chef competition
- MFL – Sixth Form Student Ambassadors lead language workshops for younger students
- Drama – theatre trips, drama performance opportunities
- PE – variety of teams and mentoring for students participating in activities above school level
- English – Poetry Slam
- Business – Young Enterprise
- KS5 – EPQ running in year 12
- KS5 – Leadership and House Teams, giving students opportunities to lead and organise events
Download our Gifted and Talented action flowchart here.